5.8.10

Pain, Edema, Meds and MLD

Saturday and I can’t walk due to the pain, but otherwise am in ok shape. The foot pain has transformed with the soles becoming the source for the discomfort. Clearly this is the chemo. So the saga continues that I shall experience the worst of those rarely reactions to my treatment as it progresses. Again, we knew the job was dangerous when we took it.
Still the fundamental Hoosier values set I was raised to live within and abide by cannot help but make me think perhaps God would have me suffer so for past transgressions. Of course such a line of thought is really an emotional cop out while you pine over loved ones lost and that past life in the shrouded incandescence of your memory.
Vanessa is now adding to her considerable resume lymphadema therapist as she takes charge of my at home program. At present I am not moving well, but there is some hope that diligent MLD will get me back in two shoes, albeit they might be two different sizes. I would then be a legend, greater that Tommy Two Shoes, known as the salesman with a choice of best foot to put forward, the shapely high arch of one, or the ogre troll mass of flesh of the other. Great.
This past week the foot pain reduced me to tears a few times. I know the toll this takes on Van and try not to do it in her presence, but I was overwhelmed. Nothing worse than foot pain, be it a broken or jammed toe or the immediate inflammation of the thousands of nerve endings on the bottom of your foot. So we have added another drug.
Pre-Cancer
Vitamin
Generic Zocor(low good number maintenance dose)
At this stage of treatment
Generic Zocor
Oxycontyn 5*
Oxycontyn 10*
Lortab (every 4-6 hours)
Antibiotic (ends today after 10 days)
Nuerotin (generic equivalent) for peripheral neuropathy in feet
Antinausea pill (AR)
Senna S (laxative max. daily dosage) offsets effects of pain killers
* as required
My Ologist Noah assures me no matter the condition I incur he has a pill, except, unfortunately, lymphedema. And so it goes. I teased Mom about all her meds, and now find myself considering a weekly pill dispenser. The med log is kept on a pad in the kitchen. A post it that says ‘log it’ is stuck on the cabinet over the counter where the meds stand ready. Vanessa loads salt in the softener and we continue to adapt and adjust.

No comments:

Post a Comment