12.8.10

New Realities And The Joy Of Underwear

July One 2010 and I am still alive. Inger came in with a grin, announcing ‘I just had my hands in the freezer, I’m ready for ya’ a couple of days ago. I can now mount my compression stockings on my own without the aid of devices like the slip on foot cover or rubber gloves. I am up to 12 hours in them, putting in full work days. Vanessa drove me on a door to door in H City this week. Yesterday I had lunch with Jocelyn in Indy. Before the cancer this was semi regular for us. It felt good to do it again. I am working at returning to normalcy with each passing day. The new reality incorporates my handicap, along with preferred parking in handicapped zones.
An interesting unintended consequence of my disease is the underwear upgrade. Until recently my underwear experience was limited to the standard Hanes or Fruit of the Loom fare in underwear. I was unaware that underwear existed that provided cushy luxurious fits. Of course upgrading undies from what I wore my entire life never entered my mind, but the need for the right fit for support and protection of my damaged package and lymph filled left leg created a need, and now my drawer is beginning to fill with these most comfortable garments, boxer style, some loose fit, some smooth. Who would have known! I have to say do not wait for cancer to explore some things, better underwear being one of them. During the day my standard outfit has me covered in spandex from the navel down, with bike shorts or Under Armour and the compression stockings. It is nice to have a little personal luxury thrown in. I have worked at improving this entire process. I now dress without rubber gloves or silk slip on socks. I have come to rely on the stockings for my mobility.

No comments:

Post a Comment