2.8.10

Oh Swell We're Swelling

The Swelling
Hi Marietta,
I had my first appointment to treat the Lymphedema this morning. Apparently, contrary to the Ologists and others, this is not 'just part of it' but in fact something that is treatable. Going on the premise that it was 'just part of it' I may have waited too long for treatment to avert some nasty complications. In any event we have a handle on it now and will flex those treatments around the chemo. We can discuss the clinical tomorrow.
Thanks,
Michael Courtney

I have found that Ologists are not all on the same page. We know that 3 or 5 urologists in the same room will have 3 or 5 differing opinions on treatment options for the same condition. When I questioned my primary about the swelling he explained the mechanics of it, which I understood from self study. What to do and the answer is live with it because it is ‘part of it.’ On the face of it, an unacceptable option.
Now a veteran of this process, I hobbled to the nearest wheelchair and headed for the restroom while Van parked the car. I have mastered every step of the hospital entry process except where to wave to get your restroom hand towel to roll out. As the cancer goes we know we can count on some new event or discomfort each week. This week the swelling in my leg has turned by scrotum into one large mass of the kind you might find hanging inside a bell waiting to be rung. Our new game, digging for the urethra involves digging into masses of fluid filled flesh to find the outlet to get the job done. Too bad as much as cancer grows it cannot grow a third hand which would be handy I suspect for most cancer patients. It was a long road to get here. .
Lymphedema of the in the lower half is the diagnosis. Contrary to the Ologists it is highly treatable, as I learned in my first session of buckets and trenches.

No comments:

Post a Comment