3.8.10

The Cancer Center - Won't You Be Our Guest?

Lymphedema will be with me for the rest of my life, a chronic condition that I must now learn to manage. On April 20 it is now the primary source of my discomfort. The lymph system is another miraculous component of the human physique. Comprised of hundreds of nodes, it moves the lymph (fluid) through your body. It is a highway system that moves lymphecites and white blood cells throughout your body, guaranteeing all parts get your immunity. On April 23 it lands me in the cancer center.
Simon Cancer Center-IU-Indianapolis
‘Part of it’ became a chronic problem when a hot rash developed on my legs. Dreaded cellulitis was the diagnosis. Consistent with my short history of cancer, which seems to guarantee that I will experience every complication no matter how remote the odds, I found I was not surprised. So I was admitted into the cancer center for treatment on the spot from a visit with Dr. Noah.
The land of tranquility, bamboo trees, sculpture, meditation and caring, the Center represents the cutting edge in cancer treatment. It is more than a tumor, runaway cells and physical symptoms. The Center is designed to help the soul as well as the body. My room rivals a fine hotel room with it’s ceramic tile bath and fine cabinets. The room is furnished in traditional style with a Hill-Rom bed that every feature worked on, a fake leather sofa that could serve as a single bed and a strange recliner to kick back in.
Nurses are amazing here. A special breed of caring is evident. I have been here now for the third night, getting an evening injection via IV of an atomic antibiotic. Of course, consistent with the course of this disease the terrible unforeseen event this time was a leak in the IV, resulting in invasion of tissue surrounding the point of entry. For a little while there was urgency and a little panic. The solution to the lymphedema will not be here, but hopefully I will be well enough to return to manual draining next week. My office is now the hospital room, and I am prepared to work from here next week, but I certainly hope I get to go home tomorrow. Skype allows me to see and visit with my Brothers, a great comfort. Still my being here reinforces the reality of my dire situation. And yet I could have a 1.5 hour visit with Paul in Oregon without interruption. Again, a blessing in every dark cloud is a gift from God.

No comments:

Post a Comment