26.8.10

August 4, 2010 Neuropathy raises it’s ugly head

In July I decided it was time to quit taking all pills but one, and started cutting down on the drug for neuropathy, which makes me tired, kills my taste buds and gives me a voracious appetite. The concept of permanent damage is especially distressing. I guess I always though I would go through life basically just aging without anything on my body that gets permanently in a situation where I have to take pills for it all the time, or worse. Yet I know diabetic patients and others who have had chronic conditions all their lives and now apparently I have two left over from the cancer, lymphedema and neuropathy. Today for me this is a most depressing and distressing outlook.
Hi Marietta,
This is DOB 05/05/5555. The pain in the abdomen gets a little better every day. It is now some minor soreness in the area. I am being careful. The lymphedema is also reduced and slowing. Walked a mile Monday morning and did ok. Wonderful.
I no longer have indications of the foot problem. Can I quit taking those pills (gabs for neuropathy in feet)?
Otherwise, the honey do list is on a legal pad, not a letter size pad and we have a lot of Summer left. Hopefully I won't be crying out for help in the interim, see you in September.
From:, Marietta
Sent: Friday, July 23, 2010 3:31 PM
To: 'Mike Courtney'
Subject: RE: Patient Michael Courtney condition update
You can start to taper off of the gabapentin and see how it affects you. How many pills are you taking a day?
If you are taking 3 pills 3 times a day, you can decrease down to 2 pills 3 times a day over 4 days and then 1 pill 3 times a day for 4 days and see if your foot pain is still ok.
Let me know if it continues to improve and maybe we can get you off of the gabapentin all together.
Take care and have a great weekend (knocking down the honey do list).
Marietta
August 4, 2010
DOB 0005555
Hi Marietta,
I dialed down to 1 pill a day and noted this AM purplish discoloration in a couple of toes. I am returning to the prescribed dosage of 900 whatevers a day in three doses. Other than that I am getting along well right now. The pain in lower left subsided with some tenderness remaining. Also it let's me know if I have over exerted myself on the honey do trail.
Hope you folks are having a good Summer.

The disease and subsequent treatments have done considerable permanent damage apparently, not only to my drain system, but also blood vessels, nerves and who knows what else. Bummer. I noted this morning what looked like bruises on my toes. Inger said yesterday my toes were cold. Although I disdain the entire pill taking regimen I will abide to avoid the horrors of neuropathy. As Dr. Noah once said, ‘We’ve got a pill for everything.’
Rich men make a bucket list when their mortality is nose to nose with their reality. Wealthy men may take a different path.

No comments:

Post a Comment