14.8.10

July 15, 2010 Positive Signs And Cutting Cheese

My scans this week were ‘positive’. No new spots showed up, some reduction in the lymph nodes and some improvement in the left kidney, which I either did not know or forgot needed improvement. Scan again September 20 and meet that day to discuss possibility of talking with the ‘Surgeons’, or urologists.
Physically I might have pulled a muscle last week end or before working on the house. I seem to be improving as the days past, but much of this past week I struggled with a lower left front very sharp pain. This the result of my continued improvement. I love to joke that shortly after we celebrated my ability to wear two shoes Vanessa presented a honey do list done not on regular size paper, or letter size, but legal size. I have only glanced at it from a distance, as the writing is small and the page is full. I am not even sure how many pages there are. It matters not, there is enough low hanging fruit to work on for sure.
Along with feeling better is a return of our bantering, that thing that drives both of our daughters crazy. ‘Do you want crackers and cheese?’ she called out the door. ‘No thank you’ came his reply. Of course that meant not now but probably later in this case. And it was only a couple of hours later when he found the cheese, one side cut jaggedly in the drawer. He set it out on the counter, looked about for an available cutting board, found it and then turned to the drawers behind him. ‘Cheesecutter’ he thought, ‘where would that be?’ He assessed the likelihood, reviewed the contents of the drawer stack in his mind, figured the location to be at the bottom for lack of use, pulled up a mental picture of the device and reached for the third handle down. As he pulled the drawer open he knew he must strike quickly. The drawer is filled to the brim with various tools for kitchen use in a kitchen where basically at most 6 tools are used efficiently. He knew that the noise he would make would draw her attention, and she hated to have him rummaging through her drawers. Nevertheless, risking it, he plunged his hand into the melee towards the back, but there were so many layers, more than he had imagined. He passed over it once in his haste, then realized it and as he layed his hand on it she turned the corner. ‘What are you looking for?’ ‘I found it’ came my sheepish reply. ‘No’ she insisted, ‘what are you looking for?’ ‘The cheese cutter’ I confessed. Clearly this was the answer she wanted. ‘Use the knife I used’ she said. ‘I like it cut thinner’ I replied. ‘The cheese cutter is too hard to clean, put it back,’ she ordered. ‘Well if is too hard to clean perhaps we should put it in with the rummage sale stuff,’ I offered. A gravelly quality came into her voice, which was lowered two octaves or so when she said ‘I’ll cut your damn cheese’. Well, Vanessa aka Inger has made huge sacrifices for me throughout this ordeal, and I know the emotional toll on her has been great, but her offer to cut my cheese for me just took me over the top. As I laughed hysterically I carefully returned the too hard to use but we have to have it cheese cutter to it’s sacred berth in the third drawer down she cut my cheese. After wacking off a few hunks she stuck a plate with the stack under my nose and said ‘here’. As one was about 1/4" thick I moved to get the knife and cut it thinner. Again with the exorcist voice ‘don’t even think of cutting your cheese’ ‘But I want it thinner’ I pleaded. ‘Well you have to use a cheese cutter to get it any thinner’ came her terse reply. I retreated and ate my cheese and crackers just as Henry VIII must have ate his, tearing off chunks and thumbing down on the cracker. Banter is another sign of returning to normalcy.

No comments:

Post a Comment