14.8.10

The BCAN

July presses on. Today I got my official Bladder Cancer Advocacy Network T Shirt. I chose the bright orange of course. Boasting leading the way on the front and admonishing those who see blood in the urine to see a doctor on the back I can only imagine how I must look to those who are ‘normal’ as I once was. As the seventeenth winds down to dusk, I have the Grand Dog here in the office with me. We are babysitting for the weekend. Went to the first BCAN (Bladder Cancer Advocacy Network) awareness day picnic today.
July 17 2010 marks the first national awareness day for the cancer. Met three other men, one a survivor since 96, one nearing the end I fear and a younger fellow with still a teen age daughter whom only recently had a neobladder installed. He had reached the point where he couldn’t pee. He discussed learning to pee by time, and building capacity. After some ribbing he admitted he was on about a 2 hour schedule. Although the bladder and 36 lymph nodes were removed he is still in some danger. While in the hospital a blood clot caused him to have open heart surgery only 3 weeks after his bladder surgery. Two major surgeries within six weeks. This started in April. I can see the value in talking with others who have the disease.

No comments:

Post a Comment