14.8.10

A Change In Lifestyle

With everyone I encounter gushing about my good color and condition, I have concluded I must have looked like shit the first 58.5 years of my life. It is therefore a tragic irony that now that I look so good I am so broken down I cannot take advantage of my new found charisma. Such is life I guess. July 17 is bladder cancer awareness day.
Vanessa and I discussed our future. Selling the home is a necessity. With it will come the end of our life style since we met. I see us transitioning to apartment dwellers, living a much more compact life. My tools and many of my toys are part of this life, and will go on to someone else either as gift or sale item. At best we might find an apartment with a small garage. I would then keep appropriate tools for minor maintenance and crafts like kiting, rockets, photography etc.
I kept the tools all these years thinking in a worse case scenario I could always get a maintenance job and tools would be needed. Now at my age and condition this will never be an option. Yet that need not be a bad thing. I was never that good with tools, usually leaving DNA behind with every project I undertook that required the use of them.
From the January diagnosis, February surgery, late winter and spring horrors, putting my shoes on the first of June (you couldn’t tell I have a tumor if you did not know) I would say I have completed phase one of my battle with this disease.
Perhaps I am now a little less stubborn given my experiences. I am certainly a lot more beholding and grateful to a lot of people.

No comments:

Post a Comment