12.8.10

Living With Forgetting

Although the reminders of my disease are constant and somewhat uncomfortable I am now in a period where forgetting about it is desirable. With a couple of weeks likely before we go for the scan to see what is up with the cancer I must closet the doomsday feelings, bottle up the hopes for a miracle and go about life as usual. This e mail exchange pretty well sums it up:
On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 8:27 AM, Debbie:
Hope you had a great holiday........
…..just wanted to touch base and wish you well,,,,
Enjoy your summer............its Mind over Matter remember
Debbie
To whit I responded:
Thank you. I am wearing regular shoes again, a girdle and rubber bands on my lower half, a great look I must say. Never the less with the help of a crooked stick I am stomping about. Had a great 4th here, but missed the big fireworks shows. Some of the neighbors went big time though. Did take a long convertible ride with the grand dog in tow to see her Mom and Brother down South. South of Columbus that is.
Finished chemo a couple of weeks ago. Still have most of my hair, totally unmanageable I must say. Will get scans later this month to see what has been accomplished. Filmed the bird fest at sunrise the other day and I simply cannot figure out how they can have so much to say so early in the morning. A veritable din. Thanks for keeping tabs on me. Mom left us with a drum full of photo's and some memento's. Van and I went through a bunch this weekend and I started scanning her better work, for posterity I guess. She cut a lot of heads off, viewfinder cameras the culprit, but she took a pot load of pictures throughout her married life so we are finding a lot of excellent work. Got lots of projects. Vanessa has a honeydo list legal pad size and the house needs another round of minor repairs.
Got lots of help and volunteers when needed and we take full advantage. I am significantly slower in all things physical. Basically, right now we are having fun. So I guess I am following your orders Doctor.
Mike (he said incorrigible, not incurable) C

And so it goes. Forgetting is easy if your mind is elsewhere. Life is a minute by minute affair for us all. Happiness is inside and sometimes requires a little digging to find. One cannot wait for it to come when needed. If it does not appear it must be made to happen inside. A fool never learns.

No comments:

Post a Comment