31.7.10

My Birthday Week

Today is Day 3 of my Birthday. In keeping with the tradition that apparently only I truly believe is one; at a given age one has lived long enough to extend the birthday to the birth week, i.e. 7 full days to celebrate each year. A few years back on what I thought was the third day of my birth week, as I started to instruct Vanessa on how to situate my blanket and where to rub my shoulders she informed my by birth week was over. ‘But wait’ I said ‘It can’t be over; my birthday was only 3 days ago.’ ‘That may be so’ she said ‘but your birthday week begins with the first day you receive a gift.’ A quick mental calculation and I realized she had snuck in a gift before my birthday.
While I protested this ad hoc hijacking of the rules of the tradition she countered by questioning whether this was ever a time tested tradition, or just a product of my mind. So the rules of the tradition were changed, but the birth week is still celebrated.
In this my third day of celebration this year I finished a picture of her and I from her wedding reception and the ship model. Jocelyn gave me small ship model and the story of ‘the battleship’ for my birthday What a gift it is and in this way she spoke for not only herself, but her Sister and Mother as well. I am so exceptionally blessed on so many levels….

No comments:

Post a Comment