27.7.10

March 12, 2010 Chasing the Pain for the Weekend

This was an office day, got about 5 hours of good work in, calls, follow ups and some mailing. The day seemed like November to me, gray, wet and cold.
I remain concerned about the stomach ache, and plan to take the nuclear option tonight to make sure the spirits are thoroughly moved. Lortabs are an adequate pain reliever but I wonder if the stomach issue is not a side effect. Rock and a hard place, can’t with em’ and can’t without em’. Following ingestion of the N O (nuclear option) I cleared my pipes, and clearly I was not suffering from the John Wayne fate of packed colon. Although the toothless oracle made a couple of loud reports, little in the way of other stuff appeared, though some, which I judged to be consistent with my diet. No sleep to speak of with a high left back pain and general discomfort.
Now looking back, the TUR was on the eighth of Feb, and today is March 13, 2010. Tough night with back pain mid left running through hip, moving around made everything sore from Richard and the twins through to the other side. Again the nagging stomachache this morning, taking on water and a cereal bar at 4 AM. Walking only aggravates it. I believe the last good day I had was Wednesday. Perhaps a reaction in part to the chemicals applied to me during the biopsy Thursday to relax me and deaden pain. I am going to try to go without lortab medication for as long as possible today to see if it helps my stomach. I have been spared anything coming up or out where it should not, which is a blessing for both Vanessa and I. No sleep last night, unable to hold water capacity down below 150cc before the alarms go off, urgency bursts through the door and agents of the cancer disguised as yellow birds invade the stored urine and rush down to the end of the trouser snake and set fire to it. This in turn leads to superheating of the drain in general. Even as I write this the fire is a burnin’. So is the reality of this cancer?
I was a steady smoker, rarely more or less than a pack a day, perhaps I already said that. The hospitals keep asking. To that they assign my cause. While kind about it, the repeated asking only serves to remind me that most likely mine is a self inflicted wound and a failure on my part as Husband and Father, Brother and Friend. The pain then was mine to make and mine to deal with. Today is going to be a big water day. If I am making a trip every whipstitch I might as well make it worth my while. Rereading the info from Nurse M I discovered I had yet to actually use the nuclear option.
Van was out first thing to get me magnesium citrate. Downing 10 oz and 6 hours later definitely moved more than previous, but no legendary blow out and still the persistent stomach ache. Vanessa is repairing a sink drain today. She got a small snake at the hardware. What a trooper, stepping up without complaint or fear to the new challenges she faces with me incapacitated.
March 14, 2010 Much less stomach pain the nuclear option has done its thing, not explosively, but more like a cup at a time, 4 times yesterday and twice so far today, and it is not 9AM yet. The cancer makes you appreciate those things in life that you take for granted normally. Checking my physical condition the biopsy left a colorful large bruise. In addition the other pain beyond stomach is from swelling in the midriff and the pair of tired vets hanging low. Another cold damp day in paradise today, brightened by Van’s presence and the arrival of Mr. and Mrs. H and Family. We all ate like Henry the Eighth and then collapsed completely satiated. Tomorrow is another day. If only I can draw up the strength to convert the last Bee Gees album tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment