26.7.10

Christopher

A note to Christopher-on his new Son
Savor every moment and never stop taking pictures and recording events is about all I can say. My two are grown and gone. I take great pride in telling my friends they went to college, never came back and sometimes actually take me to lunch. That my friend is I believe the ultimate and most elemental measure of success any parent can claim. Of course, they will always be children, and in this turbulent world communes may be just around the corner so we must always be ready to lend our support, or graciously receive it from our Family when the need arises and, perish the thought, be prepared to live with the kids under the same roof again. I therefore do not condemn my friends who's household includes cats, dogs and one or more siblings from twenty something and up but wonder at their courage.

Chris met me in the lobby. His lean figure, tall, with long features and an easy gate unmistakable as he turned my way in the hall. We grinned and shook hands. It has been years now that we have known each other, with the benefit of an added common interest in some mutual acquaintances we both hold in high regard. They got a lot of the business when the plant closed in New Castle, things were going good. Maybe another plant soon. He gave me a stern look as I fell behind on the way to his office, and slowing down to a painful crawl for him he walked next to me and leaned in to ask if I was alright. ‘Just a little work done and I are still tender’. ‘Nothing serious I hope, I need you long term you know’. ‘I’m pretty sure I will be alright.’ I was walking into a classic sales scenario, having predicted a failure that had recently occurred in the plant (it was 50/50 and no penalty if I was wrong). We started out thousands apart and ended hundreds from his starting point, yet even at that the local guy has a 7500 dollar Hyundai. I love selling the high end. I have a chance since they are longer range planners and my previous installation operates without issue. As I left he again grilled me on my condition and stressed my need to stay healthy to take care of them.
I smiled and assured Christopher I would be just fine and so would they, congratulated him again on the new son, and left after a couple of hearty handshakes and a good laugh.
Still find I must be careful not to overexert. Although my relationships of a lasting nature have been few over the years, my job has enabled me to be touched by so many. And yet as I left I thought that being too forthcoming about my situation would not be good, as Chris pointed out they rely on me and expect me to be around a while as they go through a growth cycle due to the demise of one of their former customers.
Bedtime and it will be a long and rough night. Overdid it a bit today I think. Oh well.
I have concluded that in addition to having a fire hose driven up my Johnson for a few days and all the joy that accompanied that experience, they had to fold me like a pretzel in order accomplish that feat, leaving me pulled and tattered and after moving about a bit downright uncomfortable. I did have to sign a release that if I bent where I was folded I could not hold them liable.

No comments:

Post a Comment