28.7.10

Communication Breakdown...Always a Pain

March 16, 2010
On this date in 1951 I was only 3 days away from being cruelly dragged from my Mother’s womb and into the cold harsh light of day. Right now likely I was taking on nourishment, moving about the get comfortable in my dark fluid filled confines.
We all wonder about my new providers, where it takes days or more for appointments and it is our responsibility to make sure we have all test results, pictures etc. required for each step. I wonder how much time has been lost. The first ologist fails to send to the second ologist the info needed, so we have basically a wasted consultation.
The oncologist OK because at least he could look at CT pictures which we procured and took to him. So he orders blood tests and a CT guided biopsy. Day of procedure delays. The blood test results were procured after we provided MD’s and Nurses names and phone numbers which Vanessa had with her. She kept extensive notes. Calls were made. Information was then faxed from doctor to hospital. I always thought fax machines set back office automation by decades. I sent an e mail to Nurse M;
Hi Marietta,
I wanted to keep you folks up to date.
I understand the biopsy found cancer.
I have an appointment set with Dr. H Monday 3/22 at 1:30.
Talk to the Doctor:
I asked Michelle to advise the good Doctor of my wish to speak with him as soon as possible. He had indicated during our initial consultation this was possible.
She indicated that might be some time, and I advised her I would connect my cell number to my person so I would be available any time. If I would happen to be on the line I would immediately return the call.
In Anderson we were told I should have my surgery by last Friday. For my Dear Wife and Daughters and immediate Family of 4 siblings the days between referrals and tests since coming here weigh heavy on their psyche. Again we were told time was of the essence. They have done significant study on their own every step of the way, and the T4 diagnosis is devastating for them. I have some questions for the Doctor that will enable me to properly inform my family and reduce the stress suffering my condition has put on them at present.
Pain:
I iced my marbles a few times (what fun-I could make a stand up routine out of it I think) and it knocked the swelling down. I am attempting to keep up with my job on limited travel with success as walking and extended driving or riding aggravates everything and swelling returns.
Pain Management:
I am finishing a second 40 tab prescription for Lortab in the near future. I am taking 5 a day, and if I overdo it (which is rare) 6. I presume at this juncture I have been accepted as a patient and my pain management needs to change from Dr. E to Dr. K and/or Dr. H. I would like to get on this as soon as possible, presuming it takes a couple of days to get a prescription called into my pharmacy resource for what ever is prescribed. I do not want to run out and suffer unnecessarily.
Stomach Ache:
I continue to have operational waste management, although urgency frequency as increased and I am basically on a 55 minute to 1 hour 10 minute schedule for evacuation 24/7. I have adjusted to this regimen and so far I do not think I am showing too may ill effects, except a reduction in work hours and slightly more convoluted schedule. The laxative/softener regimen is working, and I have moved the time to 8 or so at night. If I do not hear from Dr. H I will call tomorrow.
Dr. K:
Should I copy Dr. Koch on these reports or is he 'in the loop? If Dr. Hahn cannot call me, I can make the request of Dr. Koch. I know we are all on the same team, but I am also aware of communication breakdowns between facilities and departments that are often best handled on a personal level in a professional and respectful fashion. As a good patient, client and customer it does not offend me to help in nay way I can.
A Personal Heartfelt Thank You From Me:
In that regard thank you very much for responding promptly to Inger's request at Clarian North for the results of my blood tests so they could proceed with their procedure. We kind of knew that the communication breakdown thing put odds on they would not have that information on hand when it was time to do the test, and they try to run a just in time operation. Therefore Vanessa was prepared with your number and Dr. K's office and both responded within minutes.
That was a day of severe abdominal pain making the procedure difficult for me. Your prompt response and fax enabled them to move ahead. Afterward I resumed my pain medicine and got things under control. You greatly reduced a very uncomfortable time for me.
Thank you all for your attentive care and responsiveness.
Mike C

No comments:

Post a Comment