29.7.10

My First Talk With Dr. H. The Oncologist

So I want to talk to one of the Ologists at IU. I get an appointment to wait a week for a consult. I want to talk in between to better prepare my family. When the oncologist fails to return my call, I call the urologist, who has his staffer call and advise he can’t talk to me; I have to talk to the guy who won’t return my call. Of course he has a new baby, so we can let him off the hook. Then, at last he called shortly after I asked his scheduler to send him another message. What a relief. I frankly was beginning to think I was a back burner item for this group. He’s a young Ologist, his voice reassuring. Knowing that I understood the meaning of the new prognosis, he gave me a short rundown. After reading some testimonials on the ACS site I can spin it to positive, as I must.
On finding cancer in the lymph nodes….
If this were baseball, the other team just scored 4 runs
Surgery is off the table
Swelling is due to blood vessel issues brought on by the cancer
I may qualify for some interesting clinical trials
Chemo also possible, but a different recipe from the pre surgery mix
We will discuss all the options Monday
At last I have something directly from the Ologist for my Ladies, siblings and inner circle. Jocelyn took it great.
Rex gave me a fabulous experience, streaming video in real time from his booth at the Las Vegas show. Listening to his banter and serious conversations as well, I ponder how we could have gone separate ways so long ago. Together and by now we would likely be streaming video from the fantails, one sailing the great lakes and the other in Aruba.

No comments:

Post a Comment