30.7.10

Telling Vanessa’s Church Family

Sunday Morning, and off to church I go. During the prayer requests I announced to Van’s church in blubbering fashion I had a cancer in an advanced stage. I was so confident in my ability to handle it somberly but without sobbing. A miserable failure.
It was as if a pall was cast over the congregation, and you could have heard a pin drop for a few moments. The Deacons and Pastor gathered around and laid hands on me and said a prayer for me and the Girls. After the service many came up to give me a hug and a word of encouragement, and two came up to grill me on the details of the disease. It was a relief telling this group. Although never a member I have been part of the extended church family for as long as Vanessa has attended. I do have a love for many there, although to this day I get many names confused. Church families are often only for church, but I could have dinner with many of these folks, share a brew and just be myself. I know it was a relief to Van, who can now freely share as she wishes her heart and information.

No comments:

Post a Comment