30.7.10

My Dear Sisters

Have my Sisters ever just popped in for a visit? Hmmmm, let’s go through the filing cabinet for the first 58 years. I don’t think so. Yet here I sit chatting with them about the disease. Renee trying for all her might to be non confrontational, Marty ever herself and I felt a bit of happiness. Probably we should have tried this before. And yet even though we are siblings, we all are very different. I am not sure my Family would survive a multi-generational living arrangement without mayhem and carnage ensuing. These two girls are still 13 and 14 in emotional age, in the presence of a sick loved one and trying desperately to stay on their own best behavior. I wished they could have just hung out all evening, but all too soon they were on their way. If we had little in common before we still do, but the disease is something we share, it is the disease that brings us together. What an ironic twist, kind of like buying oil from the Middle East. The disease that is the most hated of all things and the purveyor of suffering whose very essence I seek to destroy is the agent that brings me closer to those I love. How can something so bad do something so good?

No comments:

Post a Comment