8.9.10

Past Life Memories And Present Friends Make My Day

Ah once again I can revel in the hidden blessings of the disease. Accepting lymphedema as a permanent handicap means I can say I have no issues at present. My friend from a previous life Dan called just to check up on me. I hired Dan into the business around 20 years ago or so by now I guess. I think he was still in his late teens. Today he is an honorable and sometimes formidable competitor. That is how it goes. You make your best competition in business the longer you are in business. I have done it several times directly and a bunch more indirectly and am proud of every one, even the ones that separated on less than ideal terms due to circumstances at the time. In other words historically as a boss I made mistakes and was sometimes an asshole.
Dan and I talked for a while about family, business and our adventures. As always we synced up pretty quickly, talking comfortably as we did when we were coworkers even though it has been some time since we spoke socially. Back in the early days of his career we covered a lot of miles as I worked to help him grasp the scope of what we do for a living, the difference between generators and doers, the conflicts between sales and accounting and the honor and fun of serving Customers externally and internally. I learned to be careful what to feed him, but even my most strident efforts in this regard were more often than not a vain attempt at tempering his digestive processes. He could clear a room or cause you to stop the truck and run for cover. What great laughs we had and still find that common bond all these years later.
Saw my friend Jon today. We got to sit and laugh for a few minutes in his shop then Customers and calls pulled him away. First time I saw him since the sickness started. Wish I had more time to spend, it was a great visit. Seeing him working in his shop, watching his easy manor of supervision over the poor b that hired on has as his day help (must be a tough job, not much tenure in the position) I sensed that he was living his dream at least in part. And then thinking if Dan I realized he was living his. How fortunate I am to be in the presence of such fortunate friends.
As for me today, a hovel is happy if it is home.

No comments:

Post a Comment