10.9.10

Losing It Again

Lost my handicap placard. Oh no. I have learned to take advantage of priority parking thank you very much. My early onset of halfshiemers has given me the forgets. Now what was I saying? Oh yeah, so two days of searching for it turned up nothing. Vanessa tried everything from gentle interrogation through hypnosis to tying me to a chair and placing me under a harsh light, still no recollection of what happened to it surfaced. Then on Sunday Morning I had a flash. Laying in bed it came to me. I laid it on the front of the console. No doubt, that was it, I could see myself doing it.
First laying in bed in and of itself is a wonder that all should appreciate and savor for a moment. There are many who cannot lay down and let their frame settle. They live with it the way you live driving around on worn out tires. You work at it every day and driving is a chore. Then finally you put on new tires and the car drives like it was new. You lived with a condition for so long you forgot what it was like before the condition existed. Human nature. When you sleep sitting up long enough you rarely think of laying down. Anyway they say 13,000 engineering hours went into the redesign of my pick up truck, and they left a gap between the console and the dash, and the shell of the console stands above the hump it straddles. Now they thought as they looked at their monitors that having a tray right there at the front of the console would be really handy. Occupants could toss their change, cards, nick nacks, jewelry, handicap placard or whatever there conveniently. So if you can imagine anything handily placed on the tray at the front of the console might very well slide into the gap and tumble into the dark crevices and cavities under the console. I can certainly picture engineers from Purdue pouring over screens and studying dimensions and angles to make sure the truck cab was a perfect ergonomic fit. Surely it was distressing for at least one of them that after all those engineering hours they missed the trap left for lost valuables. It was one of those you wake up thinking about it things. No sooner was I dressed than I step dragged myself out to the truck. I pulled the plastic of the console away from the carpet a little and out tumbled three ink pens and a couple of business cards. From the driver’s side a sharpie, pen, small post it pad, restaurant menu tumbled out. Closer inspection revealed a glimpse of the placard lodged under the console at the front. A quick plan of attack after careful examination and out it slid into my hand.
Remembering Dad’s trick of tying the garage door key to a 2x4 to prevent me from pocketing it, carrying it off, losing it, leaving it in the garage or failing to return it to the house I put a stylish fob on the placard too big to fall into the void. It now resides clipped to my man bag (it’s not a purse).
It is what it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment