4.9.10

Notes From The War On Cancer Front

Tommy Tumor and his cell mates Enda Edema and Lenny Lymph have been in communication with Sir Can in continued efforts to defeat me. Seeing my strength, size and air superiority, well organized chemical attack and so forth, these creative enemies are probing and looking for ways to entrench themselves over ever greater geography by exploiting my weaknesses and carefully trying to break my spirit.
Oh, sorry, I digress. Was I talking about Taliban, Suni’s and Afghan’s or cancer?
In any event, my enemies are creative and the cancer like any other form of life has as strong a will to live as I, but not stronger, and I have science on my side. ‘Science will save us’.
After a level 9 elliptical workout Friday and all the painting yesterday this morning, Sunday the 29th my left leg with the hose is almost the same size as the right. It’s too cool. This afternoon on the south side of Muncie some idiot was driving up and down flying a rebel flag in the back of a 90’s vintage pick up truck. Apparently this dumbass supports a plantation economy, slavery and a division of America. This is at minimum seditious behavior in my humble opinion, but the air waves are full of those proposing anarchy these days.
Something chemical is still going on. I seem to be going bald on top while the hair on my legs is getting attractive and thin. Frankly, it appears I am going bald on top and growing head hair on my legs. Perhaps this is another miracle of modern science. Do the Doctors know head hair can be grown on legs? Can it be harvested and transplanted? Is it renewable? Will it grow until I have to see a hair dresser? So many questions. For the first time in my life I have a condition that causes a serious physical reaction when I over do it. I am not saying that before I did not have physical reactions. You over do it and you’re sore, you over do it and you’re tired, you over do it and you’re over heated. You over do it and you get frost bit. I suffer a slightly different result from over doing it now, a physical reaction with the lymphedema. My left leg can become hard as a rock and swell up in a heart beat. For a period until a couple of weeks ago I lived a cycle of overdoing it until the leg gets bigger and feels tired and funny. Rest it, use a stick and get it back down. Inger says ‘it looks good’ and slaps the calf. I go about overdoing it until the leg swells back up. ‘Oh this is angry, you’ve over done it. Rest it up, don’t do so much’ Inger says and I get the stick and keep it elevated and so the summer cycle of June and July went.
I have found a couple of routines with certain machines at the gym that really seem to help keep thing under control. I started very tentatively. My routine includes 20 minutes min on the elliptical or ski machine, leg presses, the scrunches where I do my kagles while doing ab exercises on the ab table. Man, who was to know cancer would be so much work, and it is not even the cancer, but the unintended consequences that are causing me so much toil and sweat. As I write of going to the gym I have not forgotten the dark days of late winter and spring, when I though I would never return to the gym. One thing for sure, life is a good as it get’s, but it can be miserable if you don’t get to do some getting’.

No comments:

Post a Comment