16.9.10

Normalcy Abounds Living With Cancer

I have great difficulty scheduling anything with my Wife.  Nothing new here.  Over the years we have had few vacations as either my calendar or hers simply did not allow it even when we could afford it.  Neither of us have been very good about joint calendars since the kids grew up and moved away.  I have my own office and an area in the garage for my life and Vanessa has the house and a cat for hers.  Tucker, the outside cat with alpha issues visits at it’s pleasure, usually when in need of heat or a treat.  37 years of marriage this December and we are very successful room mates with 2000 sq feet of house to ramble in and maintain and a couple of felines under foot.  I love the normalcy of it all.  We have had a great summer full of activities and fun stuff, and I have pictures to prove it.  The very fact she is busy and on with her life yet managed a very special variation for me every day puts me in wonder of her.  Must of been something I said, or perhaps on a primordial level it's a smell thing.  Whatever she seems to love me as I do her.  We do banter a lot and always end the call with a love you.   
Inger shows up daily with a bible, her coffee or tea and Vanessa’s cat usually.  We get to spend some quality time together.  Now 8 months since my diagnosis.  The memory of last winter is a vision in a darkened room.  The lymphedema is hot today, a strange nerve sensation I guess.  The leg is a darkened red but MLD restores it’s normal color quickly.  Life around me is thankfully normal.  I have moments of depression with the season change but this is something I have fought off without the need for medication since 1970.  Vanessa will attest to how difficult some of the Christmas seasons have been, but she has always taken it upon herself to make sure I ‘quit that shit’ and have and be part of a good time.  The cancer is still with me of course and this is my last week of summer before the next phase of the process begins whatever that may be.  I am keeping my calendar as open as possible for that next step.

No comments:

Post a Comment