31.10.10

Surgery Day

Surgery day at last.  I sleep pretty good and arise around 6AM.
I pack my man bag (it’s not a purse) with the personal material, a book, I pod, camera, pad, pens, advocacy cards etc.  I took the laptop down and packed it in it’s case with necessary accessories to set up in the hospital.  Some things that I packed are the direct result for my previous hospital stay.  Certainly going to the hospital is not a goal for most of us and avoided generally, having the experience in the first place makes subsequent  visits easier to prepare for.  At the hospital a quick trip through registration and down to preop.  I stopped at the men’s room on the way down, the last time I would drain this way no matter what I thought as I stood at the urinal and then set on the stool because my nerves were clearly irritating my pee machine.  We met a special nurse who would report on me every 2 hours or so to family.  The room included a chemo recliner, extra chair and sink etc.  All the stuff you find in exam rooms.  It was very small, with 3 people packing the place.  After getting in my gown and getting seated Vanessa came in and rotated with my Daughters, Sisters and Brother in Law.  It was great to have the support of Family.  Early in the process I would feel guilty about imposing on loved ones but the disease and difficulty of doing anything without a lot of support made me forget the guilt long ago.  I never appreciated how important it was.  I am never too long alone in my room accept at night.  Pre op is 3 hours to sit and get asked the same questions repeatedly.  The questions posed by the pre-op nurse, resident surgeon and pain management team were to confirm that I did as instructed verbally, by e mail, by phone and by the duplicate instruction copies previously received. 
The time in pre-op went quickly.  Dr. K the surgeon came in one last time to confirm my surgery with me and discuss first and second urinary diversion options.  Renee gave us a Babtist prayer (it went on a while) and with hugs for the Sisters, a firm handshake and see you later for Jack and hugs and kisses for Daughters and Wife I took the long walk to operating room 14.  As we turned down the hallway for the final steps I wished I had lingered longer with my girls.  We entered an area with shiny aluminum like doors on both sides.  We walked to room 14 and as she opened the door I entered an operating room.  My previous surgery was done in a hospital basement room that shared space with surgical supply closet.  This room was equipped for surgery.  It was large, with big digital monitors on the north wall.  The table was at an angle in the room making working around it spacious.  I felt a calm and comfort level with the staff.  The last thing I remember was having the epidural set, which was painless.
In recovery I popped back quickly.  Dr. K came in to advise the surgery was a failure.  The cancer is extensive making bladder removal impossible.  He found a small quarter size tumor on the outside of the colon and removed that small section.  It was hidden in the folds.  He asked about going back to the oncologist and I approved.  By 8p or so I was in my room, a double shared with a young man much more stressed than I.

No comments:

Post a Comment