23.10.10

Days Before Surgery


A hard guttural feeling.  A sick feeling.  It runs down and makes you feel weak in the knees.  Sometimes you can taste a little vomit in the back of the throat.  Only 60 years old.  Thinking about losing your bladder and prostate.  Oh sure lots of things could go wrong with me, heart attack, stroke, car accident.  Never the less thinking about it makes me a little sick. 
But then I am reminded again of all the hidden blessings, a flood of memories into my mind, Sisters, Daughters, Neighbors, Friends and Co Workers.  Concerts, games, visits, dining and the lost goes on.  Of course the experience I am about to go through will present a entirely new set of blessings for me to take joy in. 
Yesterday I began my surgical prep with the first step, ending my Sea Aloe.  It is a nutritional supplement that promotes healing and generally makes me feel pretty good.  Vanessa reminded me I had to stop and I did not argue.  So no Sea Aloe, continuing to exercise, continuing regular diet, oreos left, ice cream left, lunch meat left, a good dinner or two.  No time to do so many things I wanted to do before the surgery.  Got my Granddog for the week end while the kids go to see his Mom in MO. 
Rex advises he did some research on my surgery and the only long term problem I will have is learning how to handle the large brass spigot that will be used for my main drain.  Oh, I love humor. 
Saturday before surgery.  The SBS day.  It starts with a very rambunctious Granddog, dog breakfast, dog biscuit and dog tug and drag Grandpa in and out of the quicksand (a game we play on the laminate floor with her indestructible squeaker.  Tonight I travel to Purdue to with other husbands to join Vanessa at a black tie event for her sorority.  This is an important deal for her that she has busted her buns to prepare for.  I am very proud of her ability to network and advance in any organization she is involved in becoming a key contributor and player without a lot of feather waving.  More than that is the value she places in every acquaintance and friend along the way.  Quite remarkable. 
I have not seen Inger since Van left.  I was not aware she was also a Beta Sigma Phi member but it is a very large organization and it would not surprise me if she was, as it seems to fit her as well I think.  Oh what luck I have had to have Inger come into my life.  

No comments:

Post a Comment