17.11.10

Wierdness Hands Down

3rd hand, and if you believe this I have a bridge...
There are many unknowns when it comes to bladder cancer.  In a new twist I developed a third hand, doggone thing just popped up overnight out of the back of my neck.  Many times in the hospital nurses and patient care assistants offered to lend me a hand.  Since I generally shun credit I would normally respond with a no thank you and take my fine time doing what ever they perceived I needed a third hand for.  Often I wondered where the hand was coming from that they were lending.  A cadaver's hand?  An unwilling hand?  After all how do you get a hand's permission for anything if you don't know sign language?   No way the chemo could have done it I am told, so I must attribute it to all the CT scans and X rays done over the past 10 months.  As with all things I can adjust to this as well.  I can say it is comforting having the hand on my shoulder, almost urging me on.  I continue to find things I am handy with, and this condition should only enhance that phenomenon.  I do have some sweaters and shirts that will cover the condition as it seems to cause some people real concern when they see it for the first time.  Also I find I need to fit it with some sort of brace or glove to prevent the middle finger from popping up unexpectedly.  Next week we will consult with an appendageologist on the possibility of getting a hand job done.

No comments:

Post a Comment