3.11.10

The Hospital Stay

Saturday night was the night of short staffing on the floor.  I am glad I was into my recovery.  My nurse made her appointed rounds on time and had time to walk me once, but I felt for her and really did not want to be a bother.    
Sunday and I sharted at 7:20 PM, my intestinal condition came back to life.  Nurse M and J were at the station at shift change.  I took a picture of it, left it and reported wearing a white cape since we all considered it another miracle.  Nurse M confirmed it and we all were pleased. I was allowed one ounce of clear liquid an hour as a reward, which I gladly accepted.  Rex showed up to cheer my day.  Carl was with him, but relatively quiet.  My Corona shirt was a gift, along with hats and a gadget.  As is a family tradition when you go to the hospital you get a bear, and Friday the Girls went down to the Colts shop and got me a genuine Colts bear for this visit.  Surrounded by gifts, flowers and loved ones, wow.
Monday, oh what a difference an epidural makes.  This Morning they pulled it.  Only hours before I had been kick dancing past the nurse’s station and singing between the hiccups.  ‘I think I am going to settle in here’ I told Van.  ‘Good idea’ came her reply.
They left me with the button in the IV, not knowing how I would respond.  Shoulder surgery a few years back gave me familiarity with incision pain so I settled in to see what this would bring me.  Within a couple of hours the answer came and I used the button.  A few hours later I started with pain pills.
This morning I learned I would be released tomorrow, and checking in with Aaron discovered he would as well.  We wished each other the best and he will always be in my heart.  I got approved for a liquid diet and knocked down some bullion, jello and juice in the morning and then cleared for regular diet in the afternoon.  I ordered a salmon sandwich and cottage cheese fruit plate.  The sandwich came microwaved to it’s plate and inedible.  My guess is it will survive for eons in it’s present state were ever it is.
Jocelyn came in the afternoon after devoting so much of the previous few days to me and her Mom.  Our lively conversations and humor shared make the hours fly by.  Monday night for the World Series final and Colts game Ken, Fonda and Loren came in. 
I think a measure of true friendship is the ability to start a conversation right were it left off.  I was delighted after 30 plus years of separation that Loren and I started up right where we left off.  Of course him and Ken had been warming up before hand over dinner.  Ken and Fonda are family for us, so it was a delightful evening, and later in the quiet as I looked at the picture I added up the hidden blessings I can add to the bank with this phase of my treatment, Aaron, sharing with my Nurses, Dr. K, Dr. I, the time with my Daughters and Wife, a visit from Rex, and just some sit down time with friends. 

No comments:

Post a Comment