16.11.10

Adventures And Thoughts As Recovery Wears On


Today recovery continues.  I have some blood passing at least once a day for the last few days, now 4 I think.  Usually but not always at the end of the stream I think it is a sign that the catheter in for a week beat the crap out of my bladder and related piping, not that I cared, I had an epidural through all accept the removal of it, which was done in fits and starts by a student under the supervision of a teaching Nurse.  Wow, just talking about it still makes by butt pucker a little. 
My left side is still markedly weak and I am very tired which I attribute to my body putting all available resources into the healing process. I talked at length with my Brothers in the morning and partied with Jared, Jocelyn and Maggie, the Hays family, in the afternoon and our beloved Colts won.  Vanessa was at a sorority function but called for a game update and had Jocelyn text the final score to her, hokey smokes, what a fan. 
It made me sad when they had to leave, but they have full weeks ahead and I understood.  I got to take a long walk for my present state, about a city block, this afternoon.  I have pulled a small section of my incision, the product of sneezing hard yesterday so I am taking yet another day very slowly and taking a minimal pain medication regimen. 
Now Monday Morning, and I am losing track.  Three weeks since the surgery?  I wake up to much improvement but I am still very delicate and prone to pulling in the same areas so I must continue with sitting, short walking and sitting.  Oh I am so tired of this regimen.  I am thinking that just about now I would be getting the catheter out if I my surgery had been successful and resulted in a new bladder.  The pain pills distort time and perspective and I hope the effects of what I took over the weekend in the interest of mobility wear off before I have to take any more.   
Skype is now second nature as I regularly visit with Rex and Dan.  For me this alone makes the computer worthwhile and would shorten Bill Gates sentence.  Video calls, what technology.  Just imagine, the telephone was invented around the same time as the gasoline engine.  Today the telephone in it’s infinite variations bears no resemblance to it’s original form, yet the gasoline engine is easily recognizable, having it’s last core improvement, hydraulic valve lifters, introduced in 1939.  While manufacturing techniques and materials of construction have changed, it’s still the same old technology.  Imagine if all technology was put on hold to support one industry, in this case oil.  Imagine if every generation we never said what if and every attempt to change was met with overwhelming resistance.  Many would feel very comfortable in such a world, saying we have all we need today and it will sustain us forever.  They will hold to this even as the world crumbles around them.  I wish I could experience such security by turning away from all but selected inputs. 
Video calls, what’s next, a wrist watch TV?  Holy Dick Tracy. 
4:30 AM and I am grateful for the morning.  I did not sleep fitfully.  I am continuing to pass blood sporadically in very light form or small clots.  Not sure what that means but will continue to monitor.  I still feel it is related to the catheter worn for a week while in the hospital.  Snickers demanded cuddle time so I set the computer aside and allowed her up.  I will be starting work early today as I have a lot to get out and several follow up calls to make.  Great to be busy.  Again today I can feel improvement in my incision but I am still not there yet.  Man I am ready to get back into walking normally, wearing real pants and going back to the gym.  Next week is my goal but I am fearful I might not make it.  Vanessa says probably two more weeks at least.  Perhaps they will come up with nanobots today to inject in me and go after my cancers like scrubbing bubbles, leaving me cured and able to once again drink 2 beers and write my name in the snow from the motel balcony.  Miracles happen every day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment