11.11.10

Two Weeks After Surgery

SnickersWatchcat and Danderbomb

Now the darkness settles in.  Deep shadows, cat on the TV tray, alert and eyes dilated.  Black holes now, ears perked, off the tray onto the table, the reassuring picture of Vanessa at rest with her cat standing guard.  What does she see?  I see nothing there, yet her eyes follow and track, left to right and back again.  The cat, only one paw from the wild I think returns to the tray, her self appointed station a couple of times a day.  Sometimes animals save us from ourselves.  I shall rest easy knowing the walking dander bomb is on guard and protecting me from the unseen.
Now Thursday in the dark of the early morning, watching pundits interview pundits on PBS discussing the economy I find myself disappointed with the length of time it has taken me to come back.  Perhaps it’s the flair of carpel tunnel in my left hand sending excruciating pain up the arm and persisting long after.  I just registered where my brace is in general terms.  Not enough energy to get up and get it.  Not enough energy has been my hallmark this week, now down to a pain pill every 12 hours or so I hope to be done with them. 
Today is see the Ologists and get the staples out day.  More importantly it is Vanessa’s Birthday.  I hate the cancer for keeping me from my appointed rounds on her birthday.  I cannot imagine a gift worthy of her love and sacrifice for me during this past year of hardship.  I shall try to make her day a jolly one, despite the hospital meetings this morning.  We will have Jocelyn with us for these consultations, our secret weapon. I cannot tell where my Women are on my condition.  I find in my readings in such publications as the Journal of Urology that various studies have been done on post chemo therapy different from the what I have recieved.  Dr. K felt I might be a candidate for radiation which will put me in the care of the team Radiation Oncologist. After all if I can add a couple of years without it killing me it seems to him I should.  Now from Oncologist to Urologist to Radiation Oncologist my graduation to being a possible candidate for radiation takes me to a new ologist and a new fat file to be created.  Dr. Hahn was not so enthused about radiation so today we meet with them and get the skinny.  No sense second guessing what’s next I think I will just let the day unfold as it will, remembering all day first and foremost it is Van’s day. As I sit here and the PBS news hour takes time to show me the pictures of the most recent killed in our ill fated military forays.  Ten children, ten sons, ten friends gone and all the lineage that may have come from them.  Ironic I should see this at this time, but I am glad I did.  One more Vicodin this morning, I hope it’s the last one I have to take.    

No comments:

Post a Comment