9.1.11

Keep That Train A Movin'-How I Am Doing Now


The scourge of constipation which I have not suffered since last June has returned. What a pain in the a.. so to speak.  Twice this week I resorted to magnesium citrate, the nuclear option to clear the pipes.  Awful to take but very effective in what is supposed to do.  I hope to find a substitute that will keep things moving.  The pain meds knock down the pain and stop traffic on my inner colon highway.  I have 3 or 4 brands of laxative in house.  I will start on two Senna a day tomorrow.  I know from experience no movement in 48 hours means I have to use the citrate.  If this does not keep things moving then it will be trial and error with other products until I find the right chemistry.
Without any digestive pain or pressure I have abdominal pain on the left side that is constant but manageable.  The lymphedema presents an ongoing challenge in my left leg and mid section.  We have increased the time devoted to massage and seem to be making some progress, although it is in fits and starts.  Now 5 days since the chemo and I seem to have some improvement in urgency and pain related to it.    
Sunday morning and I pushed my pain pill interval out to 6 hours.  By then the pain was serious.  Is it gas?  Is it something else?  The pain that comes in waves is gas I think.  It appears every time I eat anything I will have some consequence at the present time.  I took two pain pills and within 45 minutes the pain that would cause me to misstep was gone and the constant ache had taken the drivers seat.  Inger reports my leg and groin have improved and swelling is diminished.  As she worked her magic you could see the color restored and feel the lymph moving (at least is seems like I can).  Even though it fills back in as soon as she is finished, it seems to fill a little less each time.  The serious burning pain with draining is gone.  It is now a discomfort, not a better rest before you try to walk pain.  My head hair is still there and appears to be darkening.  Strange effects of the chemo it would appear.  This past week my appetite has dropped off significantly.  By necessity when I eat I must eat very slowly to prevent horrendous belly aching.  This started before chemo and seems to be progressing right along although there is no indication I am losing weight yet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment