3.1.11

Happy New Year Now Back To Work

Sunday the Hays family joined us for football and lasagna.  We have concluded that football games are much more fun if someone comes to share the experience or if we go to do the same but difficult since we have no friends per say that are close and would even be remotely interested in sharing intimate space with us.  I think we are a lot of fun, apparently not a widely held sentiment.  Van and I are both very thankful that Jared and Jocelyn would take time out of their life to venture out in shitty weather with the grand dog just to share the snow with us.  Chef Vanessa delivered a delicious and colorful salad, excellent multi noodle lasagna and a brownie desert.  We popped the bubbly and toasted the New Year but otherwise did not drink as the young ones were still recovering from the excesses of their earlier celebrations.  Keeping on schedule with the meds I reduced to one pill for 2 cycles. 
12AM Monday and I am logging my med p2.  We keep the log, a steno pad, on the end of the counter where her bible sets.  We log the day and starting with first medication log what we are taking, for example;
Monday 1/3/10
12 A  p2 (p1 would be one pill)
5:30A p2, gab, chol, sea
This is an important discipline, especially when it comes to the pain meds.  Hard to take pills, hard to log taking pills, hard to remember to take pills after logging them, hard to remember to log them after taking pills.  Let’s face it, another hard thing, thank you animal for this contribution. 
Seven am, two hours since last pain dose, faint lurking pain in lower left front is managed by the medication.  This morning we will try for a chemo round.  It is hoped this might slow the tumor growth and perhaps shrink it a little, giving me some improvement in quality of life.  The abdominal core pain presents itself each day and I have concluded this is a morning thing, probably gas.  It is present and apparent but managed.  I am balancing this with a single laxative pill every other day to make sure my chutes remain clear.  Working today and getting a shot of chemo this morning.  Found out the health insurance is going to cost us a lot more this year going forward.  Extended hospital stays are absolutely out of the question. 
It is back to work day.  I started very early completing a contractor bid and getting it out.  Chemo took up the middle of the day and upon return to the office at around 2P I dug in again.  One thing for sure in my case, working makes me feel better.  It takes a little to get going sometimes, to get ‘over the hump’, but once I get going I become motivated, focused and productive.  The longer I work the better. 
Chemo went well today.  I got a prescription for much stronger pain medicine and declined it, 4 bucks a pill for one thing and 20 mg for another.  I told Van when it get to 20mg of anything that would be much closer to the end and make mine morphine thank you.  I will stick with the oxycodone tabs, 5mg for light duty, 10mg for rest at night and continue to work at those pain generators that I can do something about, like the edema. 

No comments:

Post a Comment