5.12.10

My Life With The Grand Dog, Winter, And Recovery

The grand dog is in the house.  She is sporting a new collar, as her Mom and Dad could not bring themselves to clean the fecal matter imbedded in the old one from some unauthorized rolling around.  Maggie is very much a people dog.  She presently is layed across the bedroom door watching intently as Vanessa gets ready to go out for morning coffee with some buddies.  She had me out this morning and demonstrated how she could flatten herself to rug thickness and squeeze under the fence to run the neighborhood.  Later today we will begin barricading those spots. 
As for my condition report hurts to pee, the incision hurts, the neuropathy nags at me and I am quite uncomfortable most of the time.  Bowel movements are also very uncomfortable and I endured four today.  Still must sleep in the recliner in 1-2 hour intervals and I am getting along ok with this.  The last surgery it took from February to June for me to get back to a good comfort level, so I took a pill.   I did find enough scrap lumber to fill the gap between the bottom of the fence and the ground in the back.  Maggie surveyed each of her escape spots and made no attempt to closely examine.  She seemed relieved not to have the outlet, but I am sure I am reading too much into this dog’s expression.
 During my quiet time in the morning, every morning, Snickers seeks me out for 2-5 minutes of close time, during which she has trained me to rub her head, stroke her back and cradle her in my arms as I would an infant.  When satisfied she abruptly leaves and all rules are off for the rest of the day.  She will also do this around 8PM every evening if I am in a position that makes it possible.  She will plop on her Mother’s lap and lay for hours, and her Mother is allergic to her.  Go figure.  It is a good start to both our days although I feel confident neither of us is overtly disappointed on days we miss such structured interaction. 
Vanessa sent me an article on diet and the animal.  I think she is suggesting I go a nutritional route, no meat, no milk product caught my eye in the article.  Starve the cancer and weaken the cell wall while boosting the immune system to attack it with the body’s own defenses.  So many things I could do but have so little energy to undertake at this juncture. 
My koosh ball is disintegrating.  I thought they were pieces of pencil led at first, and of course I don’t use a mechanical pencil.  No, it is pieces of this therapeutic little ball of rubbery splines. 
My recliner broke.  It takes an exceptional recliner to survive bladder cancer, at least that has been my experience.  It was a good soldier, with a few years on it going into this one.  The damage is extensive and repairs not feasible so a rubber bunge and some wire and we have a new rocking chair, works for me, Van’s concept made a reality, teamwork.
The Grand Dog is a poop snob.  She will not drop indiscriminately hither wither and yon.  No, she seems to be able to hold it for a incomprehensibly long time until she is on her chosen ground, which in my case is my back yard.  When she first came over she kept her business on one end of this area, which is fenced in on 3 sides with the back of the house making the fourth.  As time past and visits came and went she became less caring and I took to wearing some of her as a souvenir on my shoe soles.  So now we know that when you heat dog deposits on shoe soles the eu de whodunshatdemselves fragrance will waft out with a vengeance.  So it was that on that very chilly day in late October, on the 45 minute drive to the hospital that it was not until the last turn that Vanessa asked ‘Did you shit your pants?’  ‘No, but I smell it too’, I said ‘maybe it’s sewer gas’.  ‘Smells like poop to me, are you sure?’ she asked again.  I did not reply, but followed my nose to looked at the bottom of my treaded shoes and there was a lot of Maggie on the left one.  So while we waited to be called in I went outside and worked as much off as I could, and in the prep room got an extra bag for the shoes.  So developing a dog drop management program was important.  My Brother Rex likes to bring me stuff when I am in the hospital.  On my last stay he brought a unique light.  He is very good about that, coming up with something different and new.  Jocelyn has the same gift.  He brought me an Astro Superlight on a lanyard.  Made of aircraft grade aluminum, 6 LEDs inside, ah Brookstone®  you find stuff in their book and wonder what would you ever use it for.  Well I can tell you this light is worth it’s weight in gold, it makes the perfect poop light. 
The handsome model in this photo demonstrates how the light is worn.  Projecting a semicircle of bright light in the dark of the early morning and in the dark of night as the dog’s schedule goes. It brings daylight ahead as one walks clearly showing what is in front on the ground.  It can also be used long distance to spot the spot, as well as to provide a visual stunner to ward of the wild animal if she wants to wrestle in the back yard.  I selected the standard shovel and put it near a circular corral made by laying out a piece of 4’ flexible draining pipe I had laying around to keep the turd ponies in.  So SOP morning and evening is to let the Magsters out in the back yard, watch as she gets around to her number two, shovel it up and deposit it in the corral.  Clean shoes, clean yard, clean dog and giant pile of shit after a week  An eloquent solution made possible by Rex.  How was he to know.  So actually the light might be more aptly named the asstrolite in my case.  I tell you it is such a joy when you have just the right tool to get the job done right. 
Now Saturday Evening the fourth day of the month twelve of year 2010.  I walked a little over a mile today.  I am much better overall.  Last night I slept on the horizontal for a couple of hours so it should not be long now before I am back to a more regular routine.  Put on my long johns today, might not take them off until March except for obligatory hygiene.  The evening is quiet.  I walked the dog into the ground, boy these city dogs are really a bunch of wusseees I guess.  Van is tutoring as I write this.  
Sunday AM the cat is fed, Mag Pie has been outdoors and I have taken a pill, all is good.  As the day goes on a tinge of melancholy is in the air, always before one of these doctor visits.  Vanessa had a bad dream last night and did not want to talk about it, that kind of stuff. We walked the dog as far as she could (OK I confess I was done in as well) given the low temps and high winds.  An early winter blast.  As we walked I lowered my head and pushed my leg hard and when I looked up and saw how far it was I was not sure I would make it but I made it with Vanessa at my side and Maggie dragging us onward. 

No comments:

Post a Comment