7.2.11

Digging Out For Homeowner Hell


Thursday, now 4 days and at last the vehicles are free from the ice and a path has been partially cut to the door with a ten pound sledge hammer.  I am none the worse for wear for the effort, although it probably took twice as long as it would in a healthier day.  The workouts the past 3 days in the ice seem to help with the lymphedema and certainly help my overall attitude.  Friday and I am back on the road, at last able to make it to the main road.  One disadvantage is there is only one way out in this weather.  There is a ford going the other way that is closed when it is inclement.
I find driving uncomfortable and it is fortunate my territory to cover is not more than a 2 hour drive any direction.  Much of the time this week I have suffered mild nausea, although things move along ok and my diet has not changed.  The abdominal pain is the same every day and at times during the day seems worse than others, so I move when it feels better and don’t when it feels worse.  With the weather and the animal I have found it a little tough at times to keep my spirits up but Vanessa has nothing of it.  Today she got out of the house for the first time in a week.  We went to breakfast and did some errands in town.  A blinding snow storm set in and we felt our way home in the Pontiac, what a snow horse.  We spent some time outside after getting home, which was neat.  The tool of choice for the ice is a pick axe which I just happen to have, don’t ask me why, along with a big scoop shovel which I also have.  Together we cleared a path on the front from walkway to doorway.  As a reward we cuddled on the couch and watched a movie we had seen before.  This storm ranks as one of the worst I have seen in my lifetime, and certainly tops the weirdometer big time.  Snow but no tracks, the glistening frozen surface for as far as one could see, the night lights reflecting, even a couple of miles away on the alabaster surface are visions I will never forget.  Tomorrow a hired gun will come in and move the snow off the drive, sparing us the labor. 
Monday morning arrives with a functional albeit uncomfortable me.  I am struggling to keep my spirits up.  It is February 7 and a gloomy day indeed with a dark gray sky over a white landscape.  So I went out and took a pick axe to the ice on the deck and walkway first thing, then set up the workmate and did some handyman wood work for Vanessa and topped it off with a session with Inger to correct my shitty attitude, if you will.  It worked, although given how much pain I have through the middle I may have to give up the pick axe, at least for a while.  Nothing like busting your ass first thing to get it right the rest of the day.  Yesterday at 6 am I was greeted with a water softener overflow.  It took me until 11 am to clean it up, do the research, teardown and clean and reassemble the brine valve, which seemed to be the culprit.  And yes, I had a great day yesterday. 
Inger made no comment on my condition, but my left leg was left beat red from ankle to knee if left vertical for any length of time so today is a full press compression garment day.  I broke some ice, made some calls and fought to keep at it today.  I have a general queasiness about me that I attribute to pills for lack of anything else I care to blame.  Today I grew tired easily through the day and napped through lunch.  

No comments:

Post a Comment