1.8.10

Palm Sunday 2010-Giving Up My Schwinn

Palm Sunday 2010-The end of coffee has come, at least for the time being. My love of the beverage overcame my good sense yesterday, and despite the discomfort hit has proven to cause me, even in small quantities, my two plus cups cost me in the form of a miserable night. Morning tea with Vanessa will be it and perhaps a cup during the day. A Canadian study in 2004 published in Chronic Diseases in Canada found men like me who drank more than 4 cups of coffee a day were twice as likely to get the disease as those who did not. Of course for every study there is another one to dispute the findings, but in my case I conclude that there is definitely something in coffee that exasperates my condition.
What will be left for me at the end of the disease? The coffee I so loved gone forever, and I thought I could never give it up. Yesterday my Schwinn Le Tour, circa 1974 met its new owner, my Son in Law Jared. When I popped the release and removed the front wheel I think I saw a trace of acceptance on his face. Perhaps he did not realize he was getting a bike that compares with the finer road bikes of today in terms of features. The bike was built before 6000 alloy aluminum was used in bike construction. It’s lugged frame and tenax chromoly tubing was considered a premium at the time of manufacture. I am betting once Jared rides the bike he will fall for it just as I did in 1974 and again when I restored it in 2007. The ease of pedaling and endless gliding made it a real joy to ride for me. If the tree had not taken out the pool I may have never rediscovered it. If it does not suit him they will have something to sell that or swap that should draw them a hundred bucks or so. It was not without a tinge of sorrow for me and my condition that I let it go, but the chances of me ever riding it again are so slight it made no sense to keep it.

No comments:

Post a Comment